Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Class Registration

At Ewha, the international students register for courses on the same day that classes start. In my opinion, it's not the most efficient way to register for courses.

The Korean students are able to register for courses before us, so the international students basically ask for overrides into courses. We register for courses online, but we still must get the professors' signature to actually be in the course. So if there's too many students in the course already and even though you registered for the course online, you can still be denied to take the course from the professor. And you won't know any of this really until the first day of class. I've already heard that some of the international kids haven't been able to get the classes they wanted.

I decided to register for the full 18 credits then, depending on what I can and can't get here. If I get everything I need, then I can drop the other courses I've registered for. I just need to make sure I withdraw from the course before the withdrawal period ends!

To me, this type of system for registering can be really risky for students on an international exchange. If students are not able to get the classes they need, they may be left taking classes that go towards nothing in their program. I'm unsure if Ewha sets an amount of spots for international students for the English-taught courses, but it doesn't really seem like it. It's really hard then if the international kids can't get English-taught courses they need and I'm sure many of us aren't capable of taking the courses taught in Korean. So yeah, very risky.

I have to go to my first class today for Financial Management (BUS 314 equivalent), so hopefully I will be able to get into the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment